Two more people in Armenia have died from coronavirus, raising to three the domestic death toll from the disease, Health Minister Arsen Torosian said early on Sunday.
Torosian said both victims, a 55-year-old woman and a 73-year-old man, also suffered from other, pre-existing medical conditions.
“Doctors did everything to save their lives, but unfortunately they did not succeed,” he wrote on Facebook.
Armenia reported its first coronavirus-related death on Thursday. Health authorities said the 72-year-old woman also suffered from other serious diseases and died at Yerevan’s Nork hospital where most people infected with the virus are currently treated. According to Torosian, 13 COVID-19 patients were kept in the hospital’s intensive care unit as of Saturday.
Meanwhile, the number of officially registered coronavirus cases in the country reached 424 on Sunday morning, up from 372 cases reported the day before.
Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian said on Saturday evening that the situation “remains tense” but is “still considered manageable.” Pashinian urged Armenians to comply with stringent restrictions on people’s movement that were imposed by the Armenian government on March 26.
Earlier on Saturday, Torosian did not exclude that the one-week nationwide lockdown will be extended by the authorities.