Armenia largely accepts mediating powers’ existing peace proposals on Nagorno-Karabakh, Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian said late on Thursday, responding to their latest calls for decisive progress in Armenian-Azerbaijani negotiations.
Nalbandian welcomed a joint statement to that effect that was issued by the U.S., Russian and French presidents earlier in the day, saying that it “contains important messages and may become an impulse for the settlement of the issue.”
“Armenia has given a clear answer to the latest version of the basic principles [of the Karabakh conflict’s resolution] proposed by the three Co-Chairs as a basis for the negotiations of the settlement,” he said in written comments. “If Azerbaijan gives an unequivocal agreement, then it will be possible to register progress in the process of the settlement. It is apparent to whom is addressed the message included in the statement in this regard, too.”
Nalbandian also praised Presidents Barack Obama, Dmitry Medvedev and Nicolas Sarkozy for voicing strong opposition to possible attempts at a military solution to the Armenian-Azerbaijani dispute. He said this warning to was directed to the Azerbaijani government, which regularly threatens to forcibly win back Karabakh and Armenian-controlled territories surrounding it.
“Armenia has always been in support of the settlement of the conflict between Azerbaijan and Nagorno-Karabakh through exclusively peaceful means and has repeatedly proven that in practice, therefore, it is clear to whom is addressed the unequivocal message of the statement in this regard,” claimed the chief Armenian diplomat.
There was no immediate reaction to the trilateral statement from official Baku. Azerbaijani leaders have said previously that the basic principles drawn up by the U.S., Russian and French co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group are mostly acceptable to them and that it is the Armenians who are dragging their feet.