By Astghik Bedevian
A leading member of Armenia’s main opposition who formerly served as head of national security has challenged the recent admission of the investigation body about the presence of only one sniper at the scene of this year’s post-election unrest.
David Shahnazarian representing the Armenian National Congress (HAK) told media on Tuesday that according to available information at least three units of police troops participated in the operations to quell anti-government protests on March 1.
“According to their own statements, snipers were attached to all of the three units. Why are they talking only about one then?” Shahnazarian said.
As a former official in charge of security issues, the oppositionist insisted that snipers, as a rule, do not work alone.
“They also have an assistant, or as they themselves call him ‘number two’. An assistant located close to the main sniper observes a wider range to help with prompts,” said Shahnazarian. “And where is the testimony of the assistant?”
Last week, another senior HAK member Levon Zurabian unveiled an audio tape with a recorded interview of the head of the parliamentary ad hoc commission conducting the unrest probe in which he admits that a sniper operated at the scene of clashes in central Yerevan.
Samvel Nikoyan, as well as the Special Investigation Service and Prosecutor-General Aghvan Hovsepian later confirmed the information. However, they denied that more than one sniper was there. They further said the sniper was not responsible for any of the reported 10 fatalities or numerous injuries.