(AP) - A man, his wife and 7-year-old child were asphyxiated by a natural gas leak in an Armenian village, emergency officials said Wednesday – the third such incident of gas poisoning in Armenia this month.
Officials were investigating the incident, which took place in the village of Brnakot in the southeastern Syunik region, but said preliminary information showed that a poorly installed homemade gas heater and an illegal connection to municipal gas pipes were to blame.
The return of widespread use of natural gas in Armenia has caused a number of safety problems in recent years, officials say. The country had almost no natural gas for about 11 years because of supply problems.
Last week, a family of five died in the town of Echmiadzin. Two days later, a gas leak killed two people in the town of Gyumri.